Friday, November 4, 2011

Swimming in the Silver Screen

There are two things which I am very passionate about--swimming and movies. Swimming will always be my first love, the love not easily forgotten and will always part be of me. Movies, on the other hand, allows me to escape reality for a few hours and live in a world of fantasy and imagination.

However, I am quite astounded that both my passions have yet to mesh well together. I have yet to see a movie wherein swimming either as an important plot element or cameo has been given its due. Mostly, the real atmosphere of competitive swimming is compromised to give way to the dramatization common sports movies are known for. After all, competitive swimming lacks the aggression and physicality of basketball and football. That alone makes swimming not conducive for potential rivalries which will be settled in the arena--the common denominator among all the sports movies ever made. But of course, this does not stop producers from trying. And I am sorry to say that such attempts of making swimming a combative sport for the sake of movies by making swimming coaches act like basketball coaches, screaming and cursing in the "benches" is really awkward borderline hilarious.

As hilarious as these attempts may be, they are still laudable attempts. So, the next few posts after this one will be about the movies which have either been about or cameos swimming. Depending on how much movies I get to watch, I will review not less than five movies. Hopefully, you guys will watch them too and give your thoughts about them as well.

Watch out for my first swimming movie review on "Pride", starring Terrence Howard (Ironman) as legendary coach Jim Ellis.

Take Your Mark!

No comments:

Post a Comment