Thursday, October 20, 2011

Burst My Babble Part 2

In part 1, I related just how difficult it was to swim for a relatively non-existent crowd. Here, I will share my thoughts and frustrations with the so-called force behind "One Big Fight."

Ever since I first saw these guys perform in their cool jackets to the cacophony of drum cadences, I yearned to be at the receiving end of such cheers. However, as I swam for my school through the years, I realized that my hopes would be in vain. In the twelve years I spent swimming for my school--seven of which in the UAAP--only once did the varsity cheerleaders attend any of our meets.

Their reasons for not going usually concern transportation, availability of members and/or prioritizing the UAAP basketball teams. Usually, I let it go. But now, I will use this opportunity to say what I have been keeping to myself with regard to these excuses.

Transportation is always a problem especially when our venue was moved from Rizal Memorial Stadium to Trace College in Los Banos, Laguna. I have always understood such concerns since it is indeed a hassle to drive all the way to Laguna hauling drums and equipment. But why should that be a problem? Is it really difficult to drive the miles and pay the tolls using personal vehicles and money to support us? Okay, shelling out personal money to fund activities for the school may seem to be a bit extreme. I get it. But is it so difficult to ask the offices for subsidies and/or reimbursements for such personal expenditures? I really don't see why the school wouldn't be willing to reimburse such expenses especially when they are incurred during the execution of varsity duties.

The availability of manpower is one of my favorite reasons, to be honest. You mean to tell me that of the more than 30 people we see hanging out in the benches, not one is available to cheer for us? I refuse to believe that. Also, I have always had an issue with this policy that we have to ask them to attend our meets and cheer for us. Do we owe it to them to be cheered? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't they owe it to us since their very existence as a varsity is hinged on the idea that they should cheer for all varsities without exception?

To be fair to them, no one has ever told me that they prioritize the UAAP basketball teams over other varsities. However, their conduct has always favored such an idea. In all my years, I have come to the realization that these cheerleaders will always attach themselves to UAAP basketball. After all, it is in basketball where school spirit is most alive and evident. And though I understand that these guys go where the crowds go, thus, where greatness is expected, I cannot fathom their absence when the Junior Tankers clinched a historic 7th straight UAAP Swimming Championship last September. Or why they were not present when the Lady Tankers fought tooth and nail to win their first championship back in 2008. Greatness happened then. Why were they not there? Strictly speaking from a swimmer's perspective, it is evident that they prioritize UAAP basketball.

So where does that leave us swimmers? Are we second-tier UAAP teams? Are we not worthy of your presence when we compete in our UAAP because it always coincides with the Final Four? Are the championships we won and the records we set pale in comparison to that of the basketball team's? I adamantly refuse to believe that! But do you believe that? I sincerely hope not.

Varsities have the greatest honor in representing their schools. For these cheerleaders, they represent both the good and bad facets of the student body and my alma mater--the enthusiasm and bias toward UAAP basketball and the apathy and ignorance toward every other sport during the first semester. My decade-long swimming career has made me numb to such realities. Yet, I can never reconcile why they conduct themselves as a varsity when they do not fulfill their duties and obligations. At the risk of sounding conceited, partial dedication to the duties of a varsity team does not make anyone a varsity in my eyes.

There is an old saying that goes like this, "People hate what they don't understand." Perhaps these cheerleaders can take this as a word of warning. Due to continued absences in meets, swimmers will soon come to resent your presence when you do show up. They wouldn't understand why you are there. In their eyes, you might become more of a nuisance than actual supporters. So please, act now and prevent this from happening. It will be a pitiful sight if two varsities do not get along or come on the brink of a serious disagreement.

Let me make something clear. We do not wish to see the grandeur put up during UAAP basketball games. We only want to see you at the stands. Plain and simple. We want you guys to be there cheering for us and giving us the will to muster that one big fight while we swim against imposing odds. We want to hear the thunderous drum cadences as we inch closer to the wall to bring home that decisive victory. But most of all, we want to earnestly dedicate our wins to the school by dedicating them to you--you, who directly represent the blue and white crowds that are suppose to be packing the stands.

Take your mark!

1 comment:

  1. Dude, in my opinion, all other varsities are 2nd tier next to Basketball. Only two teams come close to Basketball, Men's Football and Women's Volleyball.

    Secondly, take this into consideration and you will have even more pride in the things you and the other champion swimmers do (hindi ko na sinama sarili ko kasi never naman ako nagUAAP). We do not need the encouragement of cheerleaders or the student body that do not understand such a prestigious sport. You DON'T NEED THAT. You find it in yourselves. You don't have to be in the spotlight to perform like stars; cheerleaders to win like champions. You swim not for the glory, not to be recognized, not to be worshiped by students and teachers. You swim for school pride, for the love of your alma mater, for school pride, but most importantly, for yourself. And in the midst of all the cheers of the other schools, to be able to perform on such a high level, without any support, takes more than just talent or skill, it takes heart. That's what you have. A strong heart, a strong will to win, and that will be greater than a multitude of "One Big Fight"s and "Blue Eagle Spelling"s.

    So again, you are not a second-tier varsity team. You are up there, not with the basketball team, cause you are way above them. You are up there with the countless teams/sports that experience the same treatment, only to come out on top. And of course, one more thing to be proud of, you are STUDENT-ATHLETES, not the other way around.

    Food for thought! :P

    ReplyDelete